POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with smooth heightfield : Re: Problem with smooth heightfield Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with smooth heightfield
From: Hugo
Date: 10 Oct 2001 16:44:01
Message: <3bc4b311@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I figured out myself that the 8 bit resolution
was the problem. However, wouldn't it be possible to make an "interpolate"
feature that make them appear as smooth as 16 bit?  For the user, it would
be easier to stick with 8 bit bitmaps because many paintprograms don't
support 16 bit greys.. I don't have one, that do.

I could also try another approch to store heightfields. To use the "trace"
command and make a grid of triangles myself.. I could get away with much
fewer triangles, if I am lucky to implement a triangle decimation algoritm.
This has proved hard in the past.

I tried to output a PNG 16 bit, and put "hf_gray_16" in global settings.. I
used POV 3.5 beta 5 and the result looks cool, as you can see.. I tried to
render the heightfield both in MegaPOV and POV 3.5 beta5, with same result.

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Problem_Heightfield2.JPG' (53 KB)

Preview of image 'Problem_Heightfield2.JPG'
Problem_Heightfield2.JPG